my granddaughters

My photo
Granddaughters Gracie and Lillie at Christmas

Saturday, May 5, 2012

My Model for Competent Communication


As I thought about a person who demonstrates competent communication I thought of the director of the program I work for.  I have been in many meetings with her and have watched her run those meetings with integrity and a sense of caring for each person at the table.  She always listens to each person and looks them in the eye, responding with questions or responses that show the people she isr really listening to them.  Even when the person speaking is challenging or being disrespectful, she will address it honestly and without malice. When things get heated she will use a calm voice and remind the group why we are there and what our goal is.  She has a way of making her point without making others offended, they might not like what she has to say, but they seem to understand her position.   I have already learned so many things from her just by watching her work.  She has calmness about her and her body language is one that says “I am listening”.  I would definitely model my communication behaviors after her.  She knows how to run the program, and yet everyone feels comfortable to go to her with ideas, she listens, and responds with honesty.  Her integrity for everyone from the kitchen help to the directors of other programs knows she will listen and give weight to their concerns and suggestions. 

4 comments:

  1. Your Director sounds like a great boss!I am working on being a better listener especially when I am having a stressful day.Your post has reminded me to listen better to my staff and others who I come into contact with daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your director sounds like she is a good person. It is not often that you find people that has authority to stya calm and collective, especially when thing get heated with workers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She reminds me of my assistant principle they both have some of the same traits which make them both competent communicators good body language, calm voice, good listener, and honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good communicators have the power of influence. I think one thing that makes them to be able to attract people is their ability to win people's trust. As you said about your director integrity is part of what makes one a great communicator.

    ReplyDelete