my granddaughters

My photo
Granddaughters Gracie and Lillie at Christmas

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Cultural Diversity and Communication


Considering the questions for this week I really thought  I would know my answers and that it would be a “no brainer”. But that was not the case.  When asked Do you find yourself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures?  I have to say yes, I do communicate differently, I find myself talking with family and friends different, I use slang and my body posture is much different, more relaxed and not as controlled.

When I was with my husband golfing, we met up with a few guys who he works with, and we decided to golf together, I realized I changed my communication style, with my husband, I was more aware of what I said and how I said it.  I have strong convictions about talking negatively about my spouse in public, we can goof off at home and tease, and I even have my frustrations about some of his habits, but the specifics of what those are, I would never complain about to others.  So my speech instantly became guarded and I chose words more carefully. 

 I also believe communication changed because of the gender differences as well.  As a woman among 4 men, I think my body language was more serious, even though I am very comfortable with these men and we have golfed many times, I realized it is still different.

At work my communication style with the teachers  is different  compared to how I talk with parents,  and each parent is also different and therefore I talk differently with each of them.  Some require more in depth questions, others  require a attentive listening and just need someone to talk to. 

As  I continue to learn about communication, I realize I need to be flexible in how I address others, and how I portray myself as available.  I did not realize I could be so guarded in how I present myself.

my strategies are;

1. To focus on the other –oriented view and work towards understanding emotions, perceptions, and try to see it through their eyes.

2.  Be more relaxed and less guarded when talking with others, I want to maintain professionalism but not give the nonverbal cue that I am not available to listen.

3.  When it comes to gender I think I struggle the most, because you want to make sure there is a clear line of propriety, yet not so much that they misunderstand it as rude, snobbish , or mean.  So I will work at making sure I am conversing socially in a way that my nonverbal cues  and verbal cues match the way I feel. 

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I think it is important that we know and understand how to interact with different people. The other-oriented view can really help with understanding the person we are with and responding appropriatly. I also liked how you know how to communicate effectively with each of your parents. This can definitely open the line of communication and help you understand the families you are working with. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris, you brought up some good insights and your strategies are sure to be effective in building better communications skills with differ groups. I especially like when you said that communication change because of gender. I have notice that when I’m talking with co workers of another gender (men) my body language changed to be more serious. I do not want to give the wrong non verbal body gestures that might cause our relationship to be uncomfortable. I have been told that my body language says one thing but really I am saying something different.

    ReplyDelete