my granddaughters

My photo
Granddaughters Gracie and Lillie at Christmas

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nonviolence Communication




In order to do this I had to go back in time, because currently I have no conflicts or disagreements with anyone.  But I do recall a disagreement I had with colleagues that has often come to my mind throughout this past week, mainly because I felt I could have handled myself in a better way.  I have mentioned that I often care so much about another person’s feelings that I will allow them to attack me and not respond because I do not like confrontation and I don’t want to treat others in a way that I do not want to be treated

Now I have decided  when these types of disagreements come up I will take a step back, take a deep breath, count  (if I need to), and then respond by asking questions to clarify what they are truly saying and why they feel the way they do (Nonviolence communication, n.d.; The third Side, n.d.).  I will also be clear as to how I feel and what I need to help the discussion move forward. Another skill I am bound and determined to work on is helping everyone stay to the issue and attack the issue not the people.  Helping everyone remain focused on the issue will hopefully eliminate the need for feeling defensive and use blame.

References

The Center for Nonviolent Communication. (n.d.). The center for nonviolent communication. Retrieved from www.cnvc.org

The Third Side. (n.d.). The third side. Retrieved from http://www.thirdside.org/




2 comments:

  1. I think I can defiantly take this advice. In a professional setting when confrontation occurs I handle these situations differently from personal conflicts. When engaged in conflict with family or close friends I find myself attacking the person which can be harmful to the relationship and individual. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    You remind me that so often we do attack individuals. I am at fault for that many times. I also need to focus on the issue and not the individuals. There are times, I may argue back, but other times, I sit and nod, because I am not sure how to handle the conflict.

    ReplyDelete