my granddaughters

My photo
Granddaughters Gracie and Lillie at Christmas

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Perspectives on Diversity and Culture

Definition 1

Culture is passed down beliefs and activities of a specific people in a given region or area

Diversity is when different ethnic groups and cultures live together in a region or area.

Definition 2

Culture would be the beliefs, traditions, and mannerisms of a particular group, this could be an ethnic

 group, or a social group i.e. deaf culture.

Diversity is having the knowledge of the different cultures and accepting them. It means understanding each individual is unique, and recognizing the differences.

Definition 3

Culture is the lifestyle of your family beliefs

Diversity is the wide range of people we come in contact with on a daily basis.

 Question 1

Which aspects of culture and diversity that I have studied in this course are included in the answers I received – and what are some examples?

Some of the answers that I received that are the same as what we have been studying are that cultures have a common beliefs and mannerisms within a group and a social group.  The definitions I got that match what we have discussed about diversity are the language, and ethnic groups that interact together. 

Question 2

Which aspects have been omitted – what are some examples of such omission?

I do not see much omission but the definitions did not go into great deal about the identities that make each culture diverse.  We have been looking at deep culture  and one definition did discuss individual uniqueness, which is what we must understand of each other. 

Question 3

In what ways has thinking about other people’s definitions of culture and diversity influenced my own thinking about these topics.

When I put this question out there my curiosity peeked, I was excited to see the answers and find out what people I know and care about thought  about diversity and culture.  I realize many people view the definition in a similar way.   It also gives me insight into their personal culture, because their answers are a way of defining themselves.






2 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I was curious about the answers I would get to these questions too because culture and diversity are terms used frequently. Definition two brought to light a culture we haven't discussed in class - the deaf culture. It would be interesting to explore their perspectives on acceptance by the dominant group.
    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,

    Thanks for enlightening me on your loved ones definitions of culture and diversity. Definition 2 of diversity touched home with me. At some point, it was hard for me to understand individual uniqueness. As a child there were some things that I had to learn on my own because there was no one there to explain things to me. i thought it was something wrong with being unique as a child.

    Thanks for your post,

    Good tidings,

    Stewart

    ReplyDelete